Voluntary Carbon Tax
- We are requesting proposals from members of the class regarding other potential projects to support.
- Donations to the fund may be made in class or online.
Please calculate your own carbon footprint with this calculator! Let us know how you are doing in the comments box below!
For the full story, see our Earth Deeds Project Page.
- The Mt. Toby Friends Quaker Meeting House has created a voluntary tax to offset partially their use of fossil fuel and generation of carbon dioxide
- This commitment raises money for environmental projects but perhaps just as important it raises consciousness and awareness
- This process allows them to set their own “tax” rate
- There are several ways to manage this tax:
- We also discussed taxing something “big” like food miles for food served at UMass
- There are bigger issues relating to the impact of human behavior that go way beyond carbon dioxide pollution
We agreed to:
- Investigate the Mt. Toby story
- Contact Daniel Greenberg about Earth Deeds
- Explore a relationship with religious and spiritual groups through the Pioneer Valley Interfaith Coalition for Peace and Justice
- Ask our friends at UMass Dining if they are interested
Please post additional comments and questions below!
Carbon Consciousness Investment:
We raised a total of $336 to be invested in local projects which would make the world a little better and voted to distribute the funds as follows:
- 10% for Earth Deeds for managing the project
- Hunger Banquet = $130
- Grow Food Amherst = $115
- Abundance Farm = $57.40 (plus $71 raised from the Food & Spirit event = $128.40)